[R-sig-eco] Zero inflated data on some levels of a random factor in mixed models

Mollie Brooks mbrooks at ufl.edu
Wed Sep 17 02:33:38 CEST 2014

Dear Krista,

glmmADMB will only model a zero inflation constant that equally applies to all species (i.e. no predictors for number of zeros). It sounds like in your case, zero inflation varies by species. The easiest thing to do is to model the zero/non-zero parts separately as you suggest.

If n is nectar and dat is your data frame, then in lme4, this might look something like

m0=glmer((n>0) ~ species + (1|plant), family=binomial, data=dat)

m1=lmer(n ~ species + (1|plant),  data=subset(dat, n>0))

Note, with only 4 species, it should be included as a fixed rather than random effect.
Do you have repeated measures of individual flowers? If not, then there’s no need to include it as a random effect.

Cheers,
Mollie
Mollie Brooks, PhD
Postdoctoral Researcher, Population Ecology Research Group
Institute of Evolutionary Biology & Environmental Studies, University of Zürich
http://www.popecol.org/team/mollie-brooks/