[R-sig-eco] null model selection in functional diversity analysis

Marc Taylor marchtaylor at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 17:11:41 CET 2014

Dear Zoltan,

Thank you for this interesting suggestion. I'm wondering if you might be
able to suggest any papers that have used this approach in past?

It does have the advantage of maintaining many of the community patterns
that are often associated with functional diversity indices - i.e. total
site abundance, site diversity, and site richness. However, one
preoccupation that we have is that it creates new types of species (with
their associated combinations of traits) that don't occur in nature. I
believe this would have the effect of creating a null distribution of
higher variance than observed. Using this approach, we do in fact see that
the SES of the effect to diversity indices is always lower than the null
distribution - This is interesting along the lines of our hypothesis
because it demonstrates the degree of trait filtering by a site.
Nevertheless, I worry about the increased variance and wonder if this is
one of the reasons why a majority of papers in this field randomize the
abundance matrix rather than the trait one.

Cheers and thanks again for your help,
Marc