[R-sig-eco] Regression with few observations per factor level

Baldwin, Jim -FS jbaldwin at fs.fed.us
Mon Oct 20 19:28:30 CEST 2014

Yes, the analysis with a small sample size would be valid (under the assumption that the model - both fixed and random effects are correctly specified) but at some point there must be a practical assessment as to the desired precision and the costs of the consequences of either inadequate estimates or wrong acceptance or rejection of hypotheses.  If it were just about the numbers from a sample and resulting P-values, we would only need statisticians and no subject-matter experts (which is clearly not the case).

And while I'm soapboxing, situations with low variability require fewer samples than situations with high variability.  One can't make assessments of the adequacy of an analysis solely on the sample size.

Jim

Jim Baldwin
Station Statistician
Pacific Southwest Research Station