[R-sig-eco] R-sig-ecology Digest, (80/1): Binomial GLM: Is it the right way?

Claas Damken c.damken at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Nov 1 14:27:56 CET 2014

Dear Ludovico,
"the likelihood of colonizing or becoming extinct" is not a binary response as such. For each of your plant species, you actually can run one of two models : "Species A persists on plot YX or goes extinct" or "Species B colonizes plot xy or is still absent". Otherwise you would ignore that a species can be present during both surveys.

Also, your "PROB_COL" is not really a probability. It is just the number of species with a certain trait that showed up only during the second survey divided by 24. If you would calculate this for each species separately, you would get a fraction (still not a probability).

To me your data look like it should be analysed with some other method. GLMs are more convincing and easier to interpret/plot if your predictors are continuous (e.g., area, elevation, site age, pH, vegetation cover, etc) and not a factor with 12 levels when you have only 24 plots.

More importantly, don't forget that  the probability of a species colonizing a plot not only depends on which life form that particular species has, but also on how many species with the same life form are the regional species pool, i.e. in the draw.

HTH,

Claas

Claas Damken, Postdoctoral Fellow
Institute for Biodiversity and Environmental Research
Universiti Brunei Darussalam
Brunei Darussalam
email: c.damken at auckland.ac.nz

Today's Topics:

   1. Binomial GLM: Is it the right way? (Ludovico Frate)

Message: 1