[R-sig-eco] how betadisper relates to traditional betadiversity

jO bjork.johannes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 23:09:46 CET 2014

Im trying to figure out how betadisper {vegan}, and more specifically the
'average distance to median' relates to betadiversity, in my case calculated
using beta.multi (total=b.JAC or b.SOR) {betapart}. My distance matrix from
sequences and is calculated based on raw base-pair differences. I have
clustered these sequences to operational taxonomic units "OTU" (microbial
substitute for species) which gives me an presence-absence table for sites.
My first thought was that, a high value in betadiversity would mean a high
very different average distance values from betadisper, but so is not
necessarily the case. The average distances between sites can show very
similar low values although having a high betadiversity and vice versa. I
was thinking, maybe one could aggregate the "average distance to medan" for
the sites within a species in order to derive at a value reflecting
betadiversity calculated on the presence/absence of species between sites.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, thanks