[R-sig-eco] report out by t.test

Baldwin, Jim -FS jbaldwin at fs.fed.us
Mon Mar 24 04:41:09 CET 2014

The sentence "alternative hypothesis: true difference in means is not equal to 0" is stating what the alternative hypothesis is and not that your particular difference in means is significantly different from zero.  That sentence would appear (when you have a two-tailed test) no matter what the P-value might be.

Try

t.test(Q,WD)
t.test(Q,WD,alternative="two.sided")   # Default
t.test(Q,WD,alternative="less")
t.test(Q,WD,alternative="greater")

Jim

Jim Baldwin