[R-sig-eco] Extract residuals from adonis function in vegan package

Steve Brewer jbrewer at olemiss.edu
Tue Mar 18 21:59:32 CET 2014

Alicia

One more thought. I wonder if part of the problem is that you're
attempting to use ISA to do something it was not designed to deal with.
Sometimes that can work and result in a clever new approach, but in this
case, I don't see how it can work. As a recall, ISA is done by taking the
product of relative abundance and relative frequency. Therefore, as
mentioned by Jari, it can only be used with positive values of abundance
and frequency. Yes, it is true that you can transform the residual
abundances to make them all positive. That seems perfectly reasonable if
you then intend to use the residual abundances (and the residual
abundances only) to examine associations with environmental groups. What
is puzzling me is how one calculates a relative frequency using residual
abundances or how one calculates a "residual frequency." Is it your
intention to calculate residual frequencies? It's not clear to me how that
could be done. I suppose you could leave out the relative frequency when
doing the ISA, but that leads me to the following question: Can you tell
us why indicator species analysis is a better approach for determining
indication of particular environmental conditions than are species scores
generated from a capscale ordination?  Given the flexibility of capscale
to deal with categorical predictors, it has never been clear to me what
advantages ISA has over species scores in interpreting environmental
associations (other than generating a Monte Carlo-derived significance
value). If there is not much difference, then I would do a capscale
analysis using region as a Condition factor (as suggested by Arne) and
then examine the species scores.

Steve

J. Stephen Brewer
Professor