[R-sig-eco] Extract residuals from adonis function in vegan package

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Tue Mar 18 16:22:49 CET 2014

On 18/03/2014, at 16:33 PM, Alicia Valdés wrote:

> Hi and many thanks for your replies,
>
> I have had a look at capscale() and betadisper(), but as you said, this could only provide "residuals" in fhe form of dissimilarities, and what I actually would like to have are true residuals, negative and positive.
>
> I have also looked into ecodist, but I did not find anything that could help.

Now you really have to tell us what do you mean with "true" residuals. From the point of view adonis() "true residuals" are dissimilarities, but it seems that you want something completely different. What that may be? Your concept of "residual" seems to be different from mine, so please explain what you want to have.

If you want to have residuals of raw data, you can use rda() and its residuals() method. However, if you intend to use these in subsequent analysis, please note that labdsv functions at least seem to assume that data are non-negative, but it does not check this.

Cheers, Jari Oksanen