[R-sig-eco] probability distribution for zero-inflated, right skewed data

Johannes Björk bjork.johannes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 13:57:59 CEST 2014

Dear all,

Im looking into how to fit a GLM model (Im using rjags) with data that are heavily right skewed. In addition, some variables also zero-inflated. The data are species area distribution measured as "total area (km^2)" which is subsetted into "area in tropical zone" and "area in temperate zone". The last two variables contain zeros.

I have google zero-inflated models... and most that come up is "zero-inflated negative binomial" and zero-inflated negative poisson" for count data. I reckon I cannot use any of these distributions since my variables are not discrete.

Any pointer to which distribution(s) that might fit this kind of data would be much appreciated.

Attached: Histograms of the data