[R-sig-eco] mantel within mantel? multidimensional variance

Bob O'Hara bohara at senckenberg.de
Sun Jun 8 18:45:40 CEST 2014

Do you need to run Mantel tests at all? I don't see that you have
measured any distances, as such, so I think you can do at leat as well
by using standard [genrealized] linear [mixed] models.

I'm not sure I understand everything, but it sounds like you run an
experiment with 2 treatments, and N species, and you measure T traits.
So, for each trait you could have a model

y_t ~ (Treat1 + Treat2)*Species
(you could run this separately for each species, if that makes things
easier)

and size of the Treat1:Species effect tells you how the species responds
to the treatment (if you want a measure over all traits, a PCA on the
coefficients should suffice).

It sounds like you are then asking how these reactions, i.e. the
Treat1:Species effects are related to traits which are constant within a
species, i.e. a Treat1:Trait effect.

So, for each y_t you could run a model

y_t ~ (Treat1 + Treat2)*(Trait+Species)
(or even make Species a random effect)

So, now I think you just want the Treat1:Trait effects. if the Trait's
are discrete classes, then you can (again) run a PCA on the effects, to
visualise the effects.

If you want to analyse all of the y_t's together, it gets a bit more
complicated, but in principle it's the same, except you have a
MANOVA-like structure. I think you could use a Seemingly Unrelated
Regression approach.

Bob

--
Bob O'Hara

Biodiversity and Climate Research Centre
Senckenberganlage 25
D-60325 Frankfurt am Main,
Germany

Tel: +49 69 7542 1863