[R-sig-eco] deviance as a goodness of fit in GLM

Rui Coelho rpcoelho at ualg.pt
Tue Jul 22 12:31:12 CEST 2014

Hi Samantha,

Following what was already said before, you can also build your models by
testing step-by-step which explanatory variables should be included, for
example by using a Likelihood Ratio Test to compare each univariate model to
the null model (intersect only). With that (determining which explanatory
variables are significant) you can then build a multivariate simple effects
models (using the significant explanatory variables only), and then start to
experiment with interactions, again comparing each model with interactions
to the simple effects model. By following these steps, you should get to the
most parsimonious model. Along the way, and as already said by others, you
should check the residuals and can also use something as AIC (or BIC) to
compare all the candidate models.

Another option additional to this, is to use a cross-validation technique to
compare candidate models (see for example function cv.glm in library boot).

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Rui

=========================
Rui Coelho, PhD

Centre of Marine Sciences of Algarve (CCMAR)
University of Algarve, Campus de Gambelas, FCT Ed.7
8005-139 Faro, Portugal
Web: http://www.ccmar.ualg.pt

Portuguese Institute for the Ocean and Atmosphere, I.P. (IPMA)
Av. 5 de Outubro s/n
8700-305 Olhão, Portugal
Web: http://www.ipma.pt

Message: 1