[R-sig-eco] PLSR: negative R2

Thomas Möckel thomas.mockel at nateko.lu.se
Fri Jul 11 11:58:30 CEST 2014

Dear list members,
I try to predict indicator values by means of spectral reflectance. I
use the plsr function of the pls package with a leave-one-out
validation. For one model I receive negative R2_CV values. I know that
they mean that the model is bad in model my values. But when I test the
model on a separate test dataset I get positive R2 values and the RMSEP
is also not absolutely bad.
My question is:
How can it be that the R2_CV is bad but the R2_test is OK?
Is it a valid procedure to test a model with negative R2_CV values on a
test dataset or should I rather stop after the LOO validation and say
that it was not possible to build a reliable model for this variable?

Thank you very much for your answers!

--
Thomas Möckel, PhD student

Department of Earth and Ecosystem Science
Lund University
Sölvegatan 12
SE-223 62 Lund
Sweden