[R-sig-eco] Binomial GLMM or GAMM with random intercept and temporal correlation

eric.stolen eric.d.stolen at nasa.gov
Fri Aug 29 17:48:05 CEST 2014

Sam;
We had a similar situation with a GLMM with temporal autocorrelation in the
binary response variable Reyier et al. 2014). Because we wanted to use model
selection based on AIC, we could not use the quasi-likelihood estimates from
glmmPQL. Instead we used an approach called "State dependence" by Hammel et
al. (2012). Basically, we included the state of the response in the previous
time period as a predictor, and also tried lagged versions (the lagged
response order 2, 3, 4, 5, 6). We compared the estimates of the effect of
the lagged variables with those from models fit with glmmPQL, and found that
the methods agreed fairly well.

For the case with uneven intervals, have you thought about how the organism
preceives time? For instance, if samples occurred between events or stages
in an animals life it may not matter that intervals are uneven. Another idea
is perhaps you can model in a Bayesian framework with unobserved states in
the intervals that were not sampled.
Eric Stolen

Hamel, S., N. G. Yoccoz, and J. M. Gaillard. 2012. Statistical evaluation of
parameters estimating autocorrelation and individual heterogeneity in
longitudinal studies. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 3:731-742.

Reyier, E. A., B. R. Franks, D. D. Chapman, D. M. Scheidt, E. D. Stolen, and
S. H. Gruber. 2014. Regional-scale migrations and habitat use of juvenile
lemon sharks (Negaprion brevirostris) in the US South Atlantic. PLoS ONE
9:e88470.
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0088470#pone-0088{Hamel,

SamiC wrote