[R-sig-eco] adehabitatHR: kerneloverlap and kernelUD

ellepero peroe at myumanitoba.ca
Tue Apr 1 23:36:56 CEST 2014

Hello all:

I have some questions regarding the kerneloverlap function within the
adehabitatHR package, and must offer my apologies if they seem rather base:

-I understand that the comparisons between the HR method for kerneloverlap
and MCP overlap are often misleading. Why doesn't this method make for a
good comparison to MCP area intersection?

-kerneloverlap function computes indices from sets of relocations, whereas
kerneloverlaphr computers indices from estUDs. Why might one be preferred
over the other?

-I notice in working with the kerneloverlap function that the selected grid
size influences home range overlap. What is the best way to select a
biologically meaningful grid size?

-When trying to work with the kerneloverlaphr, I am given the warning "In vi
* vj : longer object length is not a multiple of shorter object length". I'm
afraid I can't say I really understand this statement (as each animal has
the same number of relocations) nor what the function is doing with my data
to account for it.

-I also realize that an issue with the kernel UD LSCV estimate is that the
cross-validation criterion sometimes fails to be minimized. But /why/ is
this sometimes the case? i.e. what about the relocations might cause this?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Ellen Pero
M.Sc. Candidate
Department of Biological Sciences
University of Manitoba