[R-sig-eco] Diversity on standardised densities in R

Paris p.v.stefanoudis at soton.ac.uk
Thu Oct 24 20:45:48 CEST 2013

Hello all,

I want to calculate classic diversity indexes from my zooplankton samples.
The problem is that the number of individuals is not the same in all cases
(some samples were semi-empty) and that is the case for the amount of sample
I analysed. In order to standardise for effort, I want to do the following:
a) randomly sample e.g. 50 individuals from each of my sample, so that I
standardise for effort (that's the difficult part)
b) then calculate on this newly created matrix all the typical indexes
(that's the easy part)
I ll give an example of a dataset in R, where samples are rows and species
are columns:

0	0	0	0	0	2	0	0	0	0
0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
0	0	0	0	0	0	0	85	0	0