[R-sig-eco] angular statistics

Steve Brewer jbrewer at olemiss.edu
Wed Oct 16 14:32:40 CEST 2013

Peter,

For my purposes (I.e., estimating exposure and drying potential in
northern hemisphere temperate forests), I simply subtract 45 degrees from
the measured aspect in degrees, convert to radians, and then take the
cosine of the adjusted angle. If I want to make exposure positive, I then
reverse the sign. In this way, southwest-facing slopes get the maximum
value (1) and northeast-facing slopes get the lowest (-1). As others have
mentioned, this approach gives equal weight to east-west and north-south
variation in exposure, which may or may not be valid for a given situation.

In your case, it sounds like you want to assume the east-facing aspects
are maximally exposed. In that case, I would just subtract 90 degrees from
your degrees measurement, convert to radians, and then take the cosine,
which I believe amounts to the same approach that Don suggested.
East-facing slopes should end up with a value of 1 and west-facing slopes
a value of -1 (due north and south will have values of 0). If you want to
give north-facing aspects less exposure than south-facing aspects (I don't
know whether you are in the northern or southern hemisphere), then you
could subtract 135 degrees from your measurements, making southeast
aspects the most exposed.

Steve

J. Stephen Brewer
Professor