[R-sig-eco] question about beta regressions

Simon Blomberg s.blomberg1 at uq.edu.au
Tue Nov 12 04:24:21 CET 2013

On 12/11/13 14:18, Simon Blomberg wrote:
> Hi Marie,
>
> betareg uses a logit link function, so the negative intercept just
> means that the intercept proportion is less than one.

My bad. Negative intercept means p < 0.5).

> To convert it back to a proportion, use plogis(InterceptValue).
>
> The intercept is the logit(proportion) that you would get if all your
> covariates were set to zero and the landfill treatment is set to its
> baseline. You might get a more interpretable intercept if you centre
> your explanatory variables (see ?scale). You could also look at
> changing the default contrasts to "contr.sum" which will give
> comparisons to the grand mean for your landfill variable. See
> ?contr.sum. To do this, just use:
>
> options(contrasts=c("contr.sum", "contr.poly"))
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Simon.
>
> On 12/11/13 12:29, marieline gentes wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a question regarding the function Betareg. I am a bit new to
>> this package, and maybe I did not understand all the theory behind...
>>   My data are proportions (%) of a contaminant (DecaBDE) in blood of
>> birds (n=78) which were GPS-tagged so that we could see what kind of
>> habitat they visited. We are investigating the effects of habitat use
>> on the proportions of that contaminant.
>>   The full model is as follow: %contaminant = % time spent in
>> agriculture + %
>> time in urban + % time in St-Lawrence River + having visited a
>> landfill (yes/no).
>>
>> Coding:
>> Deca.sumBDE <- betareg (DecaJb.sumBDEs ~ Agri.outCol24 +
>> AllLawren.outCol24 + LandfiWstwater.YesNo
>> + UrbanCov1.outCol24, data = mydata).
>>
>> Because I am not yet completely familiar with all the theory
>> underlying beta regressions, I followed one of the examples in the
>> package and created a basic model i.e., no second part specified to
>> model the precision (as you can see from the coding).
>>   Somehow all my models produced with betareg (including the
>> intercept only) end up with a negative intercept - but I have no
>> negative data. I was also expecting that the intercept of the null
>> model would be the average of my dependant variable (as in a regular
>> linear regression), but it is not....
>>
>> Any suggesions ? Could this be happening because I did not fit a two
>> parts model ? Or did I simply misunderstand
>> how to interpret and use beta regressions?
>>
>> Thank you for your time,
>>
>> Marie
>> PhD candidate
>> Canada

Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat, AStat.
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician
School of Biological Sciences
The University of Queensland
St. Lucia Queensland 4072
Australia
T: +61 7 3365 2506
email: S.Blomberg1_at_uq.edu.au
http://www.evolutionarystatistics.org

Policies:
1.  I will NOT analyse your data for you.
2.  Your deadline is your problem.

Statistics is the grammar of science - Karl Pearson.