[R-sig-eco] Multivariate Analyses of Ecological Communities

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Nov 4 23:55:22 CET 2013

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013, Angel wrote:

> Hello Rich, I may be able to provide some insight into this...

> I would think they are included because of familiarity and different usage
> scenario's.

Angel,

   I assumed this to be the case and appreciate your insights into what those
are.

> ANOSIM/MRPP would be used for simple experiments, where you would believe
> there to be no interactions,

   My work is with data collected for compliance with regulatory permits; for
example, NPDES water discharge permits. There's no experimental design, only
what regulatory agencies required at different times or locations.

   The current project involves functional feeding groups, not taxa, from
several annual collections in a set of streams. I need to define the
variability in the proportions of each funcional feeding group (the
descriptors) for each collection time (the objects). Because the
characteristics of the drainage basins and their stream networks are so
different, each basin/stream network needs to be analyzed by itself. Broad
generalizations (e.g., west-draining vs. east-draining) might be done but
that's not critical.

Thanks,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.          |      Have knowledge, will travel.
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.   |