[R-sig-eco] Multivariate Analyses of Ecological Communities

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Nov 4 18:07:55 CET 2013

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013, Jari Oksanen wrote:

> To serve the people?

Jari,

   Ah, altriism is not dead. :-)

> I have suggested in the documentation that adonis() usually is better, but
> it also suffers from similar problems as these alternatives. My analysis
> suggests that adonis() is more robust and reliable. However, not everybody
> agrees, and alternatives are provided for these standard methods. Since
> the alternatives are provided, you can study the issue independently.

   I'm more than happy to study the issue independently as I look for the
most appropriate method for my needs. I'll see if my reference library has
sufficient documentation.

> The existence of a method is not a sufficient reason to use that method.

   Heh-heh-heh! It certainly is sufficient reason in the world of
environmental regulation. :-) But, that's a contentious discussion best done
in a micro-brew pub with some good ale.

Many thanks,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.          |      Have knowledge, will travel.
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.   |