[R-sig-eco] spatial/mapping question

Marcelino de la Cruz marcelino.delacruz at upm.es
Wed May 29 20:28:14 CEST 2013

Hi Matt

You can play with spatstat.

You only need to convert your polygon into a "owin" object (see the
vignette about importing shapefiles in spatstat if necessary) and then
use functions gridcenters and inside.owin

For example

library(spatstat)

# this is an irregular "window" (aka owin object)
plot(letterR)

# make your regular grid
mygrid<-gridcenters(letterR, nx=10, ny=10)

# plot it

points(mygrid)

# which ones are inside the polygon?

points(as.data.frame(mygrid)[inside.owin(mygrid, w=letterR),], pch=19)
as.data.frame(mygrid)[inside.owin(mygrid, w=letterR),]

HTH,

Marcelino