[R-sig-eco] point process analysis

Dylan Irion dylan.irion at comcast.net
Wed May 22 12:31:47 CEST 2013

Hi list,

This is more of a general spatial statistics question, but I think
someone here might be able to point me in the right direction. I have a
dataset collected from active tracks of a marine species and am
interested in looking at the the swimming depth of the animals across
various sizes and crepuscular periods. Initially I wanted to just test a
simple hypothesis with a two-way ANOVA, but decided to rather model the
relationship, and also to include location as an explanatory variable.
I've been skimming Bivand's Applied Spatial Data Analysis book for some
clues and thought maybe section 7.5.3 Binary Regression Using
Generalised Additive Models, was what I should be looking at. My case
would certainly be a linear regression rather than binary, but is this
the right approach? a GAM with a smoothed spatial function on the
coordinates from the mgcv package? Essentially I would have swimming
depth (absolute or percentage of bottom depth) as the  dependent
variable, and shark name (indicator of size class), crepuscular cycle
(day, night, dusk, dawn), and the smoothed coordinate function as
independent variables. Am I headed in the right direction? Spatial Point
Processes?

Kind Regards,

Dylan Irion

--
University of Cape Town (MSc. Candidate)
Oceans Research