[R-sig-eco] How to remove space among columns

Roman Luštrik roman.lustrik at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 14:40:54 CET 2013

Manuel, you've been provided by a few alternatives. Here's mine.

x <- read.table(text ="col1  col2 col3 col4 col5 col6
 0        1      1     0     a    c
 1        0      0     0     a    d
 0        1      1     1     b    d", header = TRUE)

x$newx <- apply(x[, 1:4], 1, paste, collapse = "")
  col1 col2 col3 col4 col5 col6 newx
1    0    1    1    0    a    c 0110
2    1    0    0    0    a    d 1000
3    0    1    1    1    b    d 0111

I opted for a new column, but you can construct your data.frame anyway you want.

Cheers,
Roman