[R-sig-eco] nested.npmanova -- distance matrices as input?

Erin Nuccio enuccio at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 06:08:31 CET 2013

Hello list,

Does anyone know nested.npmanova can take distance matrices as input?   When I read the helpfile, it specifies that the input for nested.npmanova is a data frame, and sounds like distance matrices can only be used for nested.anova.dbrda (see below).  However, if I try inputting a Unifrac distance matrix, and make method = FALSE, it completes without any errors.  Did this complete correctly?

"formula    Formula with a community data frame (with sites as rows, species as columns and species abundance as cell values) or (for nested.anova.dbrda only) distance matrix on the left-hand side and two categorical variables on the right-hand side (with the second variable assumed to be nested within the first)."

Thank you,
Erin