[R-sig-eco] nMDS plot with points of different size

Mark Fulton MFulton at bemidjistate.edu
Thu Mar 7 16:37:26 CET 2013

There's probably something "off the shelf", but
I use a little function written in R:

#A function for doing an xyz bubbleplot.
bubbleplot <- function(x, y, z, bmax=4, bmin=.5) {
  plot(x,y, type="n")
  z <- z-min(z); z <- z/max(z)
  for (i in 1:length(x)) {
    points(x[i],y[i],cex=bmin+(bmax-bmin)*z[i])
  }
}

This just makes an empty plot, and draws circles in it
scaled to values in "z".  You'll need to extract the axis
scores from the NMDS output to use this.  Tweak
other graphics parameters as needed to get what you
want.

Dr. Mark Fulton
Professor of Biology
Bemidji State University