[R-sig-eco] Offsets in Poisson or Neg. Bin regression

Scott Foster scott.foster at csiro.au
Thu Jun 27 11:02:59 CEST 2013

Hi Ivailo,

If the effort term is not just present in the model for the purpose of
scaling the outcome random variable, then I think that it should just be
treated as a regression-type problem.  All the questions your raised
seem(?) to be standard in that setting too: Is the covariate acting
linearly (on the link scale)?  Are any non-linearities (on the link
scale) important enough to warrant using some curvi-linear or
basis-expanded function of the effort variable?  And so on...

Yes, the fishing net example *may* be one where the (scaling) effort
variable acts non-linearly.  I have not thought about this though. I
typically use effort as a scaling factor only as I have a strong a
priori belief that effort will be multiplicatively related to expected
outcome (log offset with log-link).  I am sure that I will need to
revise this belief sometime;-)

Scott

--
Scott Foster
CSIRO Mathematics, Informatics and Statistics

Phone:     (03) 6232 5178
Fax:       (03) 6232 5000
Email:     scott.foster at csiro.au