[R-sig-eco] Offsets in Poisson or Neg. Bin regression

Scott Foster scott.foster at csiro.au
Wed Jun 26 11:42:44 CEST 2013

Hi again Ivailo,

Yes, the `offset' and the covariate are the same thing.  Including them
both simply alters the functional form of the linear predictor in your
model.  No, they are not collinear in the typical sense as there is only
one parameter (linear form) between them -- the offset term does not
have a parameter that will be estimated associated with it.  For
example, with log( effort) added as a linear covariate the log-link GLM is

log( E(y)) = offset + beta * log( effort) + other_stuff = log( effort) +
beta * log( effort) + other_stuff = beta_1 * log( effort) + other_stuff
where beta_1=1+beta.

If you test that beta==0 (which is not beta_1) then you are testing that
the effect of effect is purely scaling (as per nomenclature before).
This is the same as McCullagh and Nelder's testing to see if beta_1==1.
Thanks for the pointer to McCullagh and Nelder -- I didn't know that
they suggested that.

My depiction of the effect of effort as f( effort) is to allow for the
possibility that the effect of effort may be non-linear on the link
scale.  A simple example is when f(effort) is a low-order polynomial.
Departures from effort being a purely scaling term may extend beyond
linearity.  One may even want to consider regression splines or even
more flexible GAMs.

Having said all this though, it is my practice to be quite conservative
with including effort as anything but a scaling variable (offset).  It
seems to me that there needs to be good reason before jumping to strong
conclusions that may have no basis in the phenomenon under study.

Hope this helps,

Scott

--
Scott Foster
CSIRO Mathematics, Informatics and Statistics

Phone:     (03) 6232 5178
Fax:       (03) 6232 5000
Email:     scott.foster at csiro.au