[R-sig-eco] simple question about nmds

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jun 10 18:09:07 CEST 2013

You can use them, but you shouldn't use them individually. Directions in
NMDS aren't like the independent (orthogonal) components of PCA or CA.
You need the distances in *both* (assuming k = 2, *all* for k > 2) NMDS
dimensions to recover the solution. Also directions across and up/down
the NMDS diagram are arbitrary - we can rotate the solution and the
solution remains the same.

What vegan does here is to use the coordinates in NMDS dimensions 1 and
2 (or 1,...,k) as predictors for a single response variable. This is a
bit silly - the models then says that the locations in the ordination
space *influence* the response variable! But if there is such a
relationship, it suggests the converse, that the response varies over
the gradients in the ordination.