[R-sig-eco] anova.cca question / missing data in constraining matrix

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Tue Jun 4 10:58:24 CEST 2013

Dear Colleen,
On 03/06/2013, at 22:32 PM, ckellogg wrote:

> Hello Jari,
> Thank you for your help with this.  The solution you suggested in your
> second post worked quite well.  However, i think another subset of my data
> is too 'holey', because when I run CCA on this set of environmental
> variables (or the a CCA with the previous environmental variables and the
> additional ones), I get an error:
>
>> toolik250.cca2
>> <-cca(toolikotus250.ra~logtemp+conductivity+pH+logBacProd+DIC+logDCO2+sqrtDCH4+logDOC+sqrtPhosphate+sqrtNitrate+sqrtTDN+sqrtTDP+logPC+logPN+Ca+Mg+logNa+logK+SO4+logChloride+Silica,toolikenv.s,
>> na.action=na.exclude)
> Error in predict.cca(x, newdata = excluded, type = "wa", model = "CA") :
>  model “CA” has rank 0
>
> The CCA runs if I use na.action=na.omit, but then when I run the anovas,
> there is apparently no residual component.  For example,
> No residual component
>
> Model: cca(formula = toolikotus250.ra ~ logtemp + conductivity + pH +
> logBacProd + DIC + logDCO2 + sqrtDCH4 + logDOC + sqrtPhosphate + sqrtNitrate
> + sqrtTDN + sqrtTDP + logPC + logPN + Ca + Mg + logNa + logK + SO4 +
> logChloride + Silica, data = toolikenv.s, na.action = na.omit, subset =
> -toolik250.cca2$na.action)
>         Df  Chisq F N.Perm Pr(>F)
> Model    12 5.3003        0
> Residual  0 0.0000

Yes, probably too many holes. You have no residual variation which indicates that the number
of predictor variables (constraints) is higher than the number of remaining observations.

Cheers, Jari Oksanen

> So, I am thinking that examining the relationship between the microbial
> community and this subset of environmental variables might not be possible
> without my first manually curating which samples and variables should be
> included, correct?
>
> Thank you,
> Colleen

Jari Oksanen, Dept Biology, Univ Oulu, 90014 Finland
jari.oksanen at oulu.fi, Ph. +358 400 408593, http://cc.oulu.fi/~jarioksa