[R-sig-eco] mgcv:gam predicted class?

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Jul 18 19:47:42 CEST 2013

On Thu, 2013-07-18 at 16:13 +0200, Per Bergström wrote:
> How to get prediction of classes in gam?
> I have a problem with getting predicted classes from a gam-model using
> the gam function in the "mgcv"-package.
> I have a dataset where I have classified the response variable into 5
> classes (i. e. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) and I want to use a gam-model generated on
> a training dataset (traindata) to predict the class beloning of data
> from a test-dataset (testdata) but I can't get it to work.
>
> I generated the gam-model using:
> model<-gam(growthclass~Vol+Expo+distance+......+temperature,family=binomial,
> type="classification",data=traindata)

The binomial would presume two classes (0,1) and there is no `type`
argument in `mgcv::gam()`, so the model you are fitting seems ill-fitted
(sorry) to the problem.

What you describe could be a multinomial model, but I don't know how
that can be fitted with splines.

It seems *you* has discretised the response. Why not fit the model on on
the non-discrete response and then apply the classification to those
values rather than the other way round which is what you have done.

HTH