[R-sig-eco] Standardizing data

Peter Solymos solymos at ualberta.ca
Thu Jan 24 04:04:39 CET 2013

Bruce,

Standardizing might not be the best way to go if you have low counts.
You can possibly assume that events follow a homogeneous Poisson
process and rate varies with night length (linear or quadratic) [Y|x ~
Poisson(phi); log(phi)=f(x)]. You can estimate corresponding
coefficients by glm(). I think controlling for night length
differences work even if you throw in other covariates as additive
effects on the log scale.

You can get sunrise /sunset times from maptools::sunriset, be careful
with timezones though.

Cheers,

Peter

--
Péter Sólymos, Dept Biol Sci, Univ Alberta, T6G 2E9, Canada AB
solymos at ualberta.ca, Ph 780.492.8534, http://psolymos.github.com