[R-sig-eco] Repeated Measures PERMANOVA

Steve Brewer jbrewer at olemiss.edu
Fri Jan 18 14:54:11 CET 2013

Keith,

I've posted a similar question before and got no helpful response. I think
that's  because no one has developed a straightforward way to do this in
R. Hope I'm proven wrong. Having said that, I CAN  tell you how to
properly test the within-subjects effects (including time and the time x
treatment interaction, which you said you were interested in). Just
realize that the p-value for the between-subjects treatment effects will
be wrong, because it uses the residual error term to get it. The issue is
that, as far as I know, no one has developed code to enable you to use two
different error terms in adonis. Again, I hope someone proves me wrong.

Try this code.

First, you need to define a variable that represents the observation upon
which you're taking repeated observations, I.e., the "subject." In your
case, these would be your "plots." The plots should be nested within the
treatments.

adonis(nema.troph.bc~Treatment*Time + plot,data=nema,strata=plot)

Strata treats your plots like blocks. Again, note that you can only
interpret the p-values for the within-subjects effects (time,
treatment*time). The p-value will be wrong for the treatment effect.
Unfortunately, you cannot solve this problem by simply averaging the
determine between-subjects treatment effects because the analysis uses
pairwise distances, rather than distance from a centroid. When you use
bray-curtis distance, the average of responses among years is not the
centroid.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Steve