[R-sig-eco] Difference between mantel test and adonis

v_coudrain at voila.fr v_coudrain at voila.fr
Tue Jan 15 16:08:17 CET 2013

Dear sig-eco users,

I would like to investigate the changes in a species community along an ecological gradient. I first thought about performing a Mantel test and infer if differences in
species composition are related to differences in the ecological gradient. I noticed that the function adonis (package vegan) could handle continuous variables as
well. However, the ecological gradient is not entered as a distance matrix and therefore I don't understand exactly how to interpret the outcome of the adonis test
and what is the difference to the Mantel test. Any help will be apprectiate.

Best wishes. Valerie