[R-sig-eco] binomial regression with non integers

Pierre THIRIET pierre.d.thiriet at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 16:45:46 CET 2013

Hi Valérie,

If I well understood, you want to test differences in the ratio
(multiple-site turnover component/multiple-site total dissimilarity)
between groups of sites. I think that beta.sample() function could help
you in comparing between groups of sites their multiple-site total
dissimilarity and the respective contributions of the 2 components.
With this function, you can get for each group of sites the boostraped
confidence intervals of the 3 values(2 components and total
dissimilarity). You could also plot the distributions of resampled
dissimilarities .This is what Baselga, A. and C. D. L. Orme (2012) did
in their exemple (see pasted code below).
I imagine that if you are interested in the ratio (turnover/total
dissimilarity), this is because total multiple-site dissimilarities are
really different between groups of sites. You could compute for each
group (and so compare among groups) the bootstraped confidence interval
of this ratio by combining the use of boot() and beta.multi(). However,
the ecological meaning of this comparison of ratio is confused for me.
What do you want to test?
If you are interested in caracterizing differences in assemblage
composition between group of sites, I am wondering if another approach
like dbRDA (with group as constraint) on each of the 3 dissimilarity
matrices returned by beta.pair(feeded by the whole site x species matrix
including every groups of sites) might give you better insights about
how are differences between groups (turnover and/or nestedness).
However, I read in Baselga and Orme 2012 that  multiple-site measures
are different than averaged pairwise dissimilarities, this is why I am
not sure on the suitability of this variation partionning approach. Does
any one know if it is allowed and make sense?

Cheers,
Pierre

Baselga, A. and C. D. L. Orme (2012). "betapart: an R package for the
study of beta diversity." Methods in Ecology and Evolution 3(5): 808-812.

library(betapart)
data(ceram.s)
data(ceram.n)
# get betapart objects
ceram.s.core <- betapart.core(ceram.s)
ceram.n.core <- betapart.core(ceram.n)
# multiple site measures
ceram.s.multi <- beta.multi(ceram.s.core)
ceram.n.multi <- beta.multi(ceram.n.core)
# sampling across equal sites
ceram.s.samp <- beta.sample(ceram.s.core,
sites=10, samples=100)
ceram.n.samp <- beta.sample(ceram.n.core,
sites=10, samples=100)
# plotting the distributions of components
dist.s <- ceram.s.samp$sampled.values
dist.n <- ceram.n.samp$sampled.values
plot(density(dist.s$beta.SOR),
xlim=c(0,0Æ8), ylim=c(0, 19), xlab='Beta
diversity', main='', lwd=3)
lines(density(dist.s$beta.SNE), lty=1, lwd=2)
lines(density(dist.s$beta.SIM), lty=2, lwd=2)
lines(density(dist.n$beta.SOR), col='grey60',
lwd=3)
lines(density(dist.n$beta.SNE), col='grey60',
lty=1, lwd=2)
lines(density(dist.n$beta.SIM), col='grey60',
lty=2, lwd=2)