[R-sig-eco] adeHabitatLT trajectory partitioning

Clement Calenge clement.calenge at oncfs.gouv.fr
Fri Feb 15 15:03:46 CET 2013

Dear Dylan,

[snip]
> In the gus example 10 models are generated with a mean dist from 0 to
> 130km. The max step length for gus is ~117km /day so I assumed the 130km
> is a rounded up approximation of this, to cover the whole spectrum of
> observed step lengths. The parameter that is confusing me is the 5km
> standard deviation of the models. The vignette says this was chosen
> after a visual exploration of the distribution of distances for gus, but
> I don't see it. Does this value perhaps come from the standard error of
> the distances, ~3.6km?

Actually, the value of 5 km was determined very, very, roughly on the
basis of the graph displayed on page 43 of the vignette. If you look at
the parts of the graph where the distances are stable (e.g. during
March), you can see that, the observed distances vary approximately +/-
5km both above and below the mean. This is a very very approximate
value, chosen visually just to illustrate the approach; but I agree that
there are probably much better ways to define the models used to
partition the trajectory. (actually, I prefer the approach of Lavielle
when I have to segment a trajectory for exploration purposes -- it
relies far less on the correct specification of a model).
HTH,

Clément Calenge.

--
Clément CALENGE