[R-sig-eco] Adonis and Random Effects

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Mon Feb 4 14:31:15 CET 2013

On 04/02/2013, at 09:14 AM, Erin Nuccio wrote:

> Is adonis capable of modeling random effects?

No, adonis does not know random effects.

The significance tests in adonis() are based on permutations. The key question for random effects is: "can you design a permutation matrix that treats some variables like they were random and others like they were fixed." If your answer is "yes", you can have random effects, and if you use the R-Forge versions of vegan (now 2.1-25), you can input your own permutation matrices. If your answer is "I don't know", then there is no way of handling random effects.

You cannot expect lme4 extensions to formula to work in other packages. We can parse many fixed effect formulae to a model matrix, but there is a long way of getting permutations to work in some specific way for variables tagged as random factors.

Cheers, Jari Oksanen

--
Jari Oksanen, Dept Biology, Univ Oulu, 90014 Finland