[R-sig-eco] proportion data with many zeros

v_coudrain at voila.fr v_coudrain at voila.fr
Mon Feb 4 13:42:56 CET 2013

Thank you very much for clarifying this point. My algorithm is certainly pretty bad because as you say I am basically looking at zeros. One point I don't really
understand is that for a pollen type I have a lot of pollen collected at date 1, some at time 2, few at time 3 and not at all at time 4. I get a significant difference
between time 1 and 2 but no significance between 1 and 3 or 1 and 4. That is illogical...maybe is it anyway a problem of the residuals because the residuals are
pretty well balanced for time points with fitted values >0, but for time points with no pollen collected there is no variance at all. Well I think that if I had a very large
number of data such that the non-zero part of my data would look nicely continuous I could use some zero-inflated models, but with only 4 points in time and a
positive part of the model which does not fit well a continuous distribution it is difficult. I'd certainly better take a descriptive way of presenting my data for
sparse pollen types.

Best wishes
Valérie

> Message du 04/02/13 à 13h15
> De : "Liz Pryde"
> A : "v_coudrain at voila.fr"
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: [R-sig-eco] proportion data with many zeros
>
> Hi,
> If you're using a categorical predictor those QQ plots Etc are pretty useless. Just do a residuals vs fits plots and make sure the residuals look Randomly
scattered.

> Is the problem with the smaller pollen types just that they're very low across all time scales? The algorithm won't fit b/c you're basically looking at zero data - or
a vector of zeroes. So you can assume that this is sig diff from the abundant types. This is to do with the way ML estimation works - it's a bit complicated.