[R-sig-eco] point color in NMDS (vegan)

Baldwin, Jim -FS jbaldwin at fs.fed.us
Mon Aug 19 03:59:35 CEST 2013

I assume that the dataset "island" is yours so I've made that equivalent to an example dataset in vegan named "dune".  Below is a rather brute force way to assign colors.

library(MASS)
library(vegan)

data(dune)
island = dune
island.NMDS  <-  metaMDS(island,k=2, distfun  =  betadiver,
  distance  = "sim", trymax=100, zerodist="add")

plot(island.NMDS, type = "n")

# species as symbols
col = rep("black",dim(island)[2])
c = colnames(island)
col[c=="Belper" | c=="Elepal" | c=="Viclat" | c=="Brarut"] = "blue"
col[c=="Airpra" | c=="Rumace" | c=="Potpal" | c=="Tripra"] = "red"
col[c=="Sagpro" | c=="Agrsto" | c=="Hyprad" | c=="Poapra"] = "green"
points(island.NMDS, display = 'species', pch = '+', cex = 0.6, col=col)

# sites as text
col = rep("black",dim(island)[1])
r = rownames(island)
col[r=="2" | r=="17" | r=="18"] = "blue"
col[r=="3" | r=="10" | r=="20"] = "red"
text(island.NMDS, display = 'sites',col=col)

Jim Baldwin
USDA Forest Service