[R-sig-eco] modify plot of metaMDS (package vegan)

Eduard Szöcs szoe8822 at uni-landau.de
Fri Aug 2 09:04:41 CEST 2013

Hai Elaine,

You can add the sites and species separately to your plot.

So first create an empty plot:

require(vegan)
data(dune)
mds <- metaMDS(dune)
plot(mds, type = 'n')

And then add the information you want (points, text, etc...):

# species as symbols
points(mds, display = 'species', pch = '+', cex = 0.6)

# sites as text
text(mds, display = 'sites')

See also Gavin Simpsons series on ordination plots:
http://www.fromthebottomoftheheap.net/2013/01/12/decluttering-ordination-plots-in-vegan-part-1-ordilabel/

Cheers,

Eduard