[R-sig-eco] Why removing the singletons in beta-diversity analysis?

zkzlzx zkzlzx at 126.com
Mon Sep 24 14:03:55 CEST 2012

Hi, all
Do you remove the singletons in beta-diversity analysis?
If so, why?
One guess is  the singletons *provides no information *about beta-diversity?
--- I donot think so, I believe they do provide information, although just a
little.
 Another guess is the existence of singletons* harms the analysis*, e.g. it
violates the assumption of the model.
 --- If so, to remove the singletons or not just depends.

Similar problem lies in the high-prevelance variables. I used to remove both
the singletons and high-prevelance ones in beta-diversity analysis.

Thanks

Kai