[R-sig-eco] problem accessing help files

Ivailo ubuntero.9161 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 08:58:25 CEST 2012

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 2:39 AM, Basil Iannone <bianno2 at uic.edu> wrote:
> Dear R users,
>
> First, this is not a statistic or coding issue, so I apologize if I am
> posting in the wrong place. I am having a problem accessing the help files
> from my R console.
>
> When I type in an inquiry using the ?function.of.interest (e.g. ?anova),
> Internet Explorer opens, but it does not link to the file describing
> "anova" (just an example).
>
> I am using a PC with Windows XP. I was wondering if anyone else out there
> has had similar problems, and if so, how you resolved this issue. I
> searched for a while online, but could not find a resolution.

Hi, Basil!

I would suggest you to report this issue either on the more general
*R-help* list or on the *R-devel* list where developers could help you
out.

As you have provided not much details about your problem with
accessing the help files I could speculate that you might have missed
to install the HTML help files. To fix this you could try uninstalling
and installing R again making sure that HTML help is checked during
the installation process. Alternatively, you could set R to display
help files in the pager by commenting (i.e. putting an # before)
`options(help_type="html")` and uncommenting (i.e. removing the #) the
line `# options(help_type="text")`) in
[r_install_dir]\etc\Rprofile.site (note that under Win XP
`r_install_dir` would perhaps be `C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.1`). If
you still don't get the help displayed in the pager you have some
problem with the installation and you need to consider re-installing
R.

Cheers,
Ivailo
--
UBUNTU: a person is a person through other persons.