[R-sig-eco] summing F stats and permutation

Steve Brewer jbrewer at olemiss.edu
Thu Nov 29 17:41:23 CET 2012

Jari,

Thanks. This is helpful. I knew that RDA obtained predicted abundances for
each species, but I didn't know that function rda could be used to
calculate F statistics for each predictor for each species. That does seem
like a promising way to approach the problem. So the code you've sent me
is showing how to extract and sums the numerator and denominator SS and
then calculate the ratio from those sums and the dfs? Or is it showing how
to obtain Fs for each species and then summing them?

Incidentally, I was initially very skeptical of the sumF approach until I
started comparing sumF results to perMANOVA results (using PC-Ord) on
several different datasets of mine and got strikingly similar results
between the two techniques. It seems to go against what a lot of
statisticians are saying about the unique value of multivariate stats. I
don't have a satisfactory explanation for why it seems to work with my
data.

Steve

J. Stephen Brewer
Professor