[R-sig-eco] PCA as a predictive model

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Wed May 23 09:33:06 CEST 2012

Marc,

Basic R stats functions like prcomp have a predict method that can be used to "predict" (calculate) scores with 'newdata'. This is standard, and has been in R for ever. Most textbooks of multivariate analysis should handle this issue.

In community ecological context, see functions predict.cca and predict.rda in vegan. These take argument 'newdata' which can be new community data -- depending on what you want to predict (argument 'type'). Function calibrate.cca documented in the same help page can be used to predict values of constraining variables in constrained ordination (CCA, RDA) from community composition, also with 'newdata' communities.

Cheers, Jari Oksanen