[R-sig-eco] Continuous (Non-Count) Skewed Data With Many Zeros

Tom_Philippi at nps.gov Tom_Philippi at nps.gov
Tue May 15 20:32:59 CEST 2012

Rich--
Are those true zeros, or below detection limit values?  My only experience
with water chemistry data had non-detects, not zeros, and I had to use the
NADA package.  On the bright side, I didn't have to worry about lots of
zeros...

Tom 2

Tom Philippi, Ph.D.
Quantitative Ecologist
Inventory and Monitoring Program
National Park Service
Tom_philippi at NPS.gov
http://science.nature.nps.gov/im/monitor

             Rich Shepard
             <rshepard at appl-ec
             osys.com>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  r-sig-ecology at r-project.org
             r-sig-ecology-bou                                          cc
             nces at r-project.or
             g                                                     Subject
                                       [R-sig-eco] Continuous (Non-Count)
                                       Skewed Data With Many Zeros
             05/15/2012 11:15
             AM MST

             Please respond to
               Rich Shepard
             <rshepard at appl-ec
                 osys.com>

   The water chemistry data of metal concentrations are not normally
distributed (based on Q-Q plots) and are not improved by transformation
(log10, sqrt, cubic root). For the 30 metal species the percentage of zeros
ranges from none (10 metals) to 48.6; average 5.6. Most metals are at very
low concentrations with infrequent spikes which might be very high.

   Those with fewer zeros are not a concern, but I'd like your thoughts on
1)
at what percentage do the number of zeros become a concern and 2) how to
characterize and model these data.

Rich