[R-sig-eco] PCA - omission of attributes in percentage data

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Fri May 11 15:27:37 CEST 2012

Roy,

Did the referee say *which* species to remove?

The selection of a species to be removed will influence the results, so it is crucial to pick the "correct" species. Conclusion: the referee got it wrong.

There is a special theory of PCA of proportional data, but only removing one species does not make data non-proportional.

If you have more observations than species (and full rank data), then the maximum number of above-zero eigenvalues can be one less with proportional data than with non-proportional data. Removing one species does not change the number of above-zero eigenvalues in such a case, but it will change the sum of all eigenvalues, as well as eigenvalues of axes, and scores. So it is only the rank of the solution that is invariant with removing one species, but all other results will change. Don't do this if you can.

Cheers, Jari Oksanen