[R-sig-eco] split-split-plot design and adonis

Steve Brewer jbrewer at olemiss.edu
Thu Mar 1 18:58:18 CET 2012

Arnaud,

Have you already tried to run the analysis using the Site_Hydro
interaction as the strata effect? If so, can you show us the anova table?

One thing I'm wondering about is how adonis is dealing with the apparent
nesting of sites within sediment types. From your description, site does
not appear to me to be equivalent to a "block" at the level of sediment
type (although it does appear so at the level of hydrology).

I've not been successful at doing either a split plot or a repeated
measures using Adonis. I don't know whether it is because I have set up
the data frame containing the factors incorrectly or whether the arguments
or models in adonis I'm using are incorrect, but the resulting anovas I
get always show the residual error term being used to test all the
effects, which is incorrect and not what I want.

Best,
Steve

J. Stephen Brewer
Professor