[R-sig-eco] Using residuals as dependent variables

Ivailo ubuntero.9161 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 12:55:55 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Bob O'Hara <bohara at senckenberg.de> wrote:

> The simple answer is no it isn't:
> <http://gking.harvard.edu/files/mist.pdf>

That's a great paper -- thanks for pointing to it, Bob!

>> 2.       Ideally ( and I am unsure how or if it is possible) work out for
>> each country which variables/s cause the poor fit of that country to the
>> oceanographic model.
>
> Try using partial residuals
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_residual_plot).

My thoughts followed another path and I hadn't thought about that. I
can just add that partial residual plots (called sometimes component
and residual plots) are implemented in the crPlot() function in the
car package that accompanies the quite readable book on regression "An
R Companion to Applied Regression, Second Edition" by Fox & Weisberg
(Sage, 2011).

Cheers,
Ivailo
--
UBUNTU: a person is a person through other persons.