[R-sig-eco] Q10

Stephen Sefick sas0025 at auburn.edu
Mon Jan 30 18:29:12 CET 2012

linearize the model and fit.

I think it is
lny=lna+bx

make sure I did the conversion correctly

y=ae^bx

take the natural log of both sides

ln(y)=ln(ae^bx)

ln(y)=a+ln(e^1)*bx

ln(y)=a +bx

Hopefully I did this right,

Stephen

On 01/30/2012 10:01 AM, Alan Haynes wrote:
> Dear Ecology list,
>
> I'm trying to calculate the Q10 (temperature sensitivity) of decomposition
> in R. I have done so in excel straight forwardly enough but I want to check
> it in R.
> Does anyone have any ideas how to go about this?
>
> It is calculated as
>
> y_T ~ a * e^(bx_T)
> where y is the decomposition rate at temperature T, x_T is the temperature
> and "a" and "b" are constants. "e" is the magic number (exp(1) ; 2.7183)
>
> then
>
>   Q10 = exp(10*b)
>
> In excel I simply fit an exponential trend line, read off "b" from the
> formula and then calculate Q10 as above. In R it seems to be a bit harder.
>
> Ive attempted to use nls() to derive the exponent but I get a completely
> different number (when it doesnt give me a singularity error). nls() doesnt
> seem to like the "a" term either, as it seems to be this that generates the
> singularity issue.
>
> Does anyone know of a function, or suite of functions, for calculating Q10?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Alan

Stephen Sefick
Auburn University
Biological Sciences
331 Funchess Hall
Auburn, Alabama
36849
sas0025 at auburn.edu
http://www.auburn.edu/~sas0025

Let's not spend our time and resources thinking about things that are so little or so large that all they really do for us is puff us up and make us feel like gods.  We are mammals, and have not exhausted the annoying little problems of being mammals.

                                 -K. Mullis

"A big computer, a complex algorithm and a long time does not equal science."

                               -Robert Gentleman