[R-sig-eco] Using function adonis for unbalanced designs?

Sandra Bibiana Correa scorrea at neo.tamu.edu
Wed Feb 8 19:42:37 CET 2012

  Hi all,

I am trying to use PERMANOVA in a one factor design to test for
differences in diet among species (species are in rows and foods in
columns).I however have different sample sizes for each species (groups).

In Anderson, 2001 I found that the PERMANOVA method is for balanced
designs but it could be modified for unbalanced designs.Does adonis
account for differences in sample size among groups?I couldn’t find
direct reference to this in the Vegan manual or tutorial.I read that
MRPP can be used for unbalanced designs.  I'm not sure about Anosim.I
would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Bibiana