[R-sig-eco] pca or nmds (with which normalization and distance ) for abundance data ?

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 14 13:51:56 CET 2012

On Fri, 2012-12-14 at 06:22 -0600, Stephen Sefick wrote:
<snip />

> >> My opinion is PCA on hellinger transformed relative proportions "means"
> >> more than an NMDS
> >
> > ?? NMDS with Hellinger distances could optimise a k-D PCA with Hellinger
> > transform.
>
> Gavin, maybe I have spoken beyond my knowledge.  My though was that a
> PCA has a unique solution and is therefore "better" (as long as an
> appropriate distance is used that deals with the double zero problem
> effectively).  I am sure that this is too simple for the reality of the
> situation.  I don't know what a k-D PCA is.  Would you mind explaining
> or directing me to some reading material?

By k-D PCA I meant that in nMDS you need to state the dimensionality; in
metaMDS() we start the process from a Principal Coordinates of the data
(PCoA == PCA when Euclidean distances used). I meant that nMDS for say
2d solutions can optimise the configuration arising from the first two
PCA axes.

I don't see the unique solution of PCA as an implicit advantage of that
method. It has a unique solution because the possible solutions are
constrained by the approach; linear combinations of the variables which
best approximate the Euclidean distances between samples. NMDS
generalises this idea extensively into a problem of best preserving the
mapping of the dissimilarities. As such it can do a better job of
drawing the map but that comes at a price.

Again though; horses for courses.

> > Given that NMDS essentially subsumes PCA I'm not sure what you are
> > getting at.
>
> I don't understand.  Would you mind explaining this?
> many thanks,

I meant in the sense that PCA is special case of Principal Coordinates
and that nMDS generalises Principal coordinates.

I don't get the point of saying one method is "better" than any other.
Each has uses etc. I certainly don't think any one method "means" more
than the other.