[R-sig-eco] pca or nmds (with which normalization and distance ) for abundance data ?

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Fri Dec 14 10:24:23 CET 2012

Hello Folks,

Kruskal's "rule of thumb" really is a rule of thumb. That is, it is intended for a rough guideline. In that sense, there is no difference to Clarke's rules. However, I wouldn't judge usability simply by stress: solutions with very low stress can be useless and solutions with fairly high stress can be usable. In stress it is a question about many things, but a large portion of stress is similar as signal/noise ratios. The signal is more difficult to detect with high noise, but if you detect the signal, the amount of noise does not matter. I have quite often seen pretty usable solutions with stress around or above 0.20 (20%), at least when using external explanatory variables. There are limits, though. If you trace single runs, you may see that random starting configurations start typically start with stress 0.4 (40%) or a bit higher. If you cannot improve from that, the solution probably is pretty useless (and metaMDS you will probably have no convergent solutions). However, instead of discarding the results, you may first start with stricter convergence criteria for monoMDS (if you use monoMDS). See its help pages (next version of vegan will have stricter limit for "scale factor of gradient", sfgrmin).

There is also a limit for low stress. In fact, the current vegan warns of too low stress (Kruskal's "perfect" fit). This is usually a symptom of insufficient data (too many dimensions for too few points, dissimilarities found from too few variables).

In my opinion, ecologists are often too much obsessed with goodness of fit values. This is true in general, but also very manifest with multivariate method. I do think that if you, say, in PCA or RDA "explain" something like >50%, there is something suspect in your analysis. Typical reasons are insufficient data (too few rows or columns) or not really multivariate data. Sometimes there are some very dominant species (high variance) so that the analysis need not care but about a couple of species, and that is an easy task. If you transform your data so that high abundances are squashed down and variances equalized, or even made equal, the data become more multivariate (= all species count). Typically this means that lower proportion of variance is "explained", but often the results are more interpretable. This also happens when you change models: Unscaled PCA/RDA using variances "explains" much of the variance, scaled PCA/RDA using correlations "explains" much less, and CA/CCA studying deviations from expectations "explains" the least. Typically the usability and interpretability of the results improves as "explanatory power" decreases. The same also often holds for NMDS: Euclidean distances often give lower stress and pooorer results athn dissimilarities that treat all species more equally.

Not really R, but perhaps I'm forgiven (this time),

Cheers, Jari Oksanen